We’re searching for a Backend Engineer to join our Engineering team.
Employment type: Full-time or Part-time available
This posting is for all backend related positions – we’re currently hiring for all range of experience, Junior, Senior and Lead – inquire within.
We are searching for passionate, proactive people who want to help build great websites. We want to ensure a diverse and inclusive workplace where we can learn from each other and encourage people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. Studies show that minorities are less likely to apply if they do not meet 100% of the qualifications but we would love to hear from you even if you feel like you don’t meet every single qualification. We are open to training the right person who has the right attitude and fit.
Do you enjoy to working with the server-side principles of web applications and WordPress themes? Are you enthusiastic to push the web forward, and better yourself? We are also passionate about the web here at WebDevStudios, so let’s chat.
Your primary responsibility will be developing WordPress themes, plugins, and web applications according to specifications outlined by the client and defined by a Lead Engineer during a Strategy Phase.
You’ll be working as part of a team alongside a Project Manager, Lead Engineer, Frontend Engineers and other partners during the entire development lifecycle of a project, as well as a supporting that project after it ships.
Learn more about what it’s like to be part of the gang at WebDevStudios.
Qualities that matter to our team:
- A positive attitude, a good work ethic, and enjoy helping others.
- Not afraid to ask for help, teachable, a quick study, and have the ability to be flexible when “stuff happens.”
- Understand deadlines and can complete a variety of tasks throughout the week.
- Willing to participate in company paid training courses to further their skills.
- Excited about contributing back to open-source technologies.
- Comfortable communicating via Slack and participating in video calls with their team while working remotely.
- Meet documented deadlines and complete tasks in accordance to project milestones while following code standards.
- Communicate the status of your work to Project Managers and participate in a project team and department calls.
- Optimize web applications for maximum speed, scalability, and maintainability.
- Work directly with Lead Engineers on feature validation and code reviews.
- Assist Frontend Engineers with the server-side application data.
- Keep an accurate record of your time with our time tracking software.
- You have 2+ years of professional experience as a Backend Engineer.
- You have a strong grasp of both the WordPress plugin and theme APIs, including template tags, custom post meta, internalization, and escaping/sanitization data.
- You are knowledgeable in writing performant data queries.
- You are knowledgeable of Git (GitHub) version control and branching strategies.
- You have a strong comprehension of PHP and object-oriented programming (OOP) practices.
- Experience with MySQL.
- Experience with Gutenberg
- Experience with accessibility standards.
- Experience using the terminal/command line.
- Experience with build tools such as Composer, Gulp and/or Webpack.
It’s not required, but experience or interest in learning the following would be a plus:
- Automattic’s starter theme, _s or our starter theme, wd_s
- WebDevStudios plugin generator
- WordPress plugins like:
- Advanced Custom Fields
- Gravity Forms
- Yoast SEO
- REST APIs and GraphQL
- Dress code: pajamas, if you like.
- This is a full-time, salaried position.
- Full-time employees enjoy benefits such as Medical/Dental/Vision, Paid Time Off, 401K, and more!
- Pay rate is based on experience and abilities.
- Lots and lots of informal GIF sharing.
Oh, the benefits
We know the value in supporting our employees’ holistic well-being, and we make sure our benefits package reflects our commitment to our team.
100% Paid Medical
Paid Sick Leave
Flexible work schedules
Generous paid time off
Work from anywhere
401K + Employer Match
Annual Company Retreat
*No third parties or outsourcing agencies will be considered, but we are open to worldwide applicants!
WebDevStudios is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We give each application consideration, but please do be patient as we go through all of the applications received. We will read them all and will be contacting eligible applicants within the next week or two.
Join our amazing company!
Being part of WebDevStudios means more than just having a job. We strive to foster passion, creativity, innovation, and pride in what we accomplish every day. We look to our employees to show us where they really shine and put each individual’s skills and interests at the forefront of our projects.
We could not accomplish what we do daily without our employees and the wonderful jobs they perform. They are our most valuable resource. We recognize that when you love what you do, your best self-shines through.