We’re searching for a Frontend Engineer to join our Engineering team.
Employment type: Full-time
Compensation: Commensurate with proven experience level
We are searching for passionate, proactive people who want to help build great websites. We want to ensure a diverse and inclusive workplace where we can learn from each other and encourage people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. Studies show that minorities are less likely to apply if they do not meet 100% of the qualifications but we would love to hear from you even if you feel like you don’t meet every single qualification. We are open to training the right person who has the right attitude and fit.
Is building beautiful, functional frontend web applications and WordPress themes a passion of yours? Do you want to push the web forward, and better yourself? We are also passionate about the web here at WebDevStudios, so let’s chat.
Qualities that matter to our team
- A positive attitude, a good work ethic, and enjoy helping others.
- Not afraid to ask for help, teachable, a quick study, and have the ability to be flexible when “stuff happens.”
- Understand deadlines and can complete a variety of tasks throughout the week.
- Willing to participate in company paid training courses to further their skills.
- Excited about contributing back to open-source technologies.
- Comfortable communicating via Slack and participating in video calls with their team while working remotely.
Your primary responsibility will be developing and modifying the presentation layer of WordPress themes and web applications according to specifications outlined by the client and defined by a Lead Engineer during a Discovery Phase.
You’ll be working as part of a team, alongside Backend Engineers, Project Leads, Project Managers, and other partners during the entire development lifecycle of a project, as well as a supporting that project after it ships.
Here are some technologies you’ll be working with:
- PHP 7
Your primary responsibilities
- Develop responsive, accessible, high-quality WordPress themes and web applications using modern workflows and tools, while following WDS Coding Standards.
- Optimize web applications and assets for maximum speed, scalability, and maintainability.
- Meet documented deadlines and complete tasks in accordance to project milestones.
- Work directly with Senior or Lead Engineers on feature validation and code reviews.
- Communicate the status of your work to Project Managers and participate in a project team and department calls.
- Keep an accurate record of your time with our time tracking software.
- Be available during normal business hours.
Minimum job requirements
- You have 1+ years of professional experience as a Frontend Engineer or similar position.
- You have a strong grasp of the WordPress theme structure, template hierarchy, template tags, custom post meta, internationalization, and escaping/sanitization of data.
- You are knowledgeable of Git (GitHub) version control and branching strategies.
- You have a strong comprehension of accessibility standards.
- Experience using the terminal/command line.
- Experience with build tools such as Gulp and/or Webpack.
- Comfortable using Sketch/Photoshop/InVision.
It’s not required, but experience or interest in learning the following would be nice:
- Automattic’s starter theme, _s or our starter theme, wd_s
- WordPress plugins like:
- Advanced Custom Fields
- Beaver Builder
- Gravity Forms
- Yoast SEO
- REST APIs, especially the WordPress REST API
- Dress code: pajamas, if you like!
- This is a full-time, salaried position
- Full-time employees also enjoy benefits such as Medical/Dental/Vision, Paid Time Off, 401K, and more!
- Pay rate is based on experience and abilities
- Lots and lots of informal GIF sharing
Oh, the benefits
We know the value in supporting our employees’ holistic well-being, and we make sure our benefits package reflects our commitment to our team.
100% Paid Medical
Paid Sick Leave
Unlimited Flex Time
25 days paid time off
Work from anywhere
Annual Company Retreat
*No third parties or outsourcing agencies will be considered, but we are open to worldwide applicants!
WebDevStudios is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We give each application consideration, but please do be patient as we go through all of the applications received. We will read them all and will be contacting eligible applicants within the next week or two.