WebDevStudios (WDS) is excited to announce changes to our project management processes across our company. In an effort to better organize client projects, code repositories and documentation, we are transitioning from Basecamp and Github and streamlining our processes under the Atlassian suite of tools, which includes Jira, Bitbucket and Confluence.
This change was no easy feat. Last year, Director of Project Management, Cristina Holt, and Director of Engineering, Greg Rickaby, worked together for several months to test out every project management tool available and rated them based on features WDS needs for client projects
“We’re always looking for ways to improve our project management processes, tools and workflow,” explains Cristina. “As an organization, we encountered obstacles managing large-scaled projects using our former tools for one-off project builds. We knew we needed a change.”
After conducting their tests, Cristina and Greg decided Atlassian was the best choice. “It surpassed the other tools for project management, code management and organized documentation. It’s a big change, but we knew that the transition phase would be well worth it in the end. Using this new tool set will set us up to be successful in managing small to large-scaled projects for our clients, and that is ultimately what matters most'” she says.
Here’s what our new processes will look like:
Jira – Project Management
- Plan – Create issues or bugs, plan, and distribute tasks across our team.
- Track – Prioritize and discuss client work with visibility using the Kanban board.
- Release – Ship with confidence knowing the information our clients have is always up-to-date.
Bitbucket – Code Repository
- Collaborate on code with inline comments and pull requests.
- Manage and share client Git repositories to build and ship software as a team.
Confluence – Documentation
- Create, organize and discuss work with the client’s team.
- Feature or site documentation
- Meeting notes
- Feature requirements/development planning
- Project planning
- Blog posts
We are currently walking our clients through these new processes. For those of you interested on getting an inside peek, we recommend reading this piece on getting started.
We wish to extend our gratitude to our clients for their support during this change. And when you’re ready to hire a team of efficient project managers and talented engineers to build your website, contact us for assistance. Let’s talk!